Breville BTM800XL Tea Maker – Full Review
The revolutionary Breville Tea Maker provides a truly exceptional tea drinking experience. The basket is fully automated. It moves up and down to gently agitate the leaves for a thorough tea infusion. Activate the basket by pushing the button and watch as the cycle steeps the tea. Different types of tea require exact water temperatures and brew times to fully release all of their unique flavors. The Tea Maker takes out the guesswork so that every cup of tea is brewed to perfection. The machine is fully programmable so your tea is ready when you are. The glass carafe is a German-made Schott, which means it is stain resistant and very durable.
Special Features That Make the Breville Unique
- Tea basket cycle – Unlike most tea makers, the Breville tea basket moves up and down, gently agitating the tea, allowing the water to circulate around each tea leaf. This squeezes out every drop of flavor and aroma hidden within each and every leaf. This works with both loose leaves and bagged tea.
- Variable temperatures – Different types of tea need different water temperatures to fully extract all of the flavor. This machine can be programmed for all types of tea.
- Auto start – Set the machine in the evening and your tea is ready when you wake up in the morning. Or, you can set it to be ready when you get home from work. Any time you want the tea to be ready, it will be fresh and perfectly steeped.
- Easy to program – Some tea and coffee makers are nearly impossible to program. You have to have the instructions in hand to figure out how the machine works. This is not the case with the Breville. The buttons are clearly marked and easy to understand.
- Keep warm feature – The tea stays warm for up to an hour. This is a great feature for parties r for people who enjoy several cups of tea throughout the morning. No need to make an additional batch, just make one pot and drink as much tea as you like.
- Time since brewing started – The LCD display tells you when brewing started and how long the tea has been on the warming plate. This lets you monitor freshness and lets you know how much time is left before the machine automatically shuts off.
Specific Product Details
- The machine measures 9 x 7 x 11.8 inches and weighs just 1 pound.
- The Breville can currently only be shipped within the USA.
- The tea maker brings the water up to the specified temperature.
Problems & Solutions of the Breville Tea Maker
- Replacing the glass carafe. The German-made Schott carafe is more durable than most, however accidents do happen. Currently, there aren’t any replacement carafes listed anywhere on the web. If your carafe breaks, call the company directly to see what they can do. They will be able to send you a replacement or let you know where to find one.
- Large holes in the basket. The holes in the basket are regular size, but for fine leaves like Rooibos tea, they are bit large and some may seep through. The agitating basket makes it easier for the leaves to slip through. Most people aren’t bothered by a few tea leaves, but you can solve this problem by using a paper filter in the basket.
- The display doesn’t tell the current temperature. After the brewing is done, you don’t have any way of knowing how hot the tea is, how quickly it cools down or when it comes down to a comfortable drinking temperature. A little trial and error will easily solve this problem. After a few uses you should be able to determine the perfect drinking temperature for your taste.
- The water doesn’t come to a boil. You can set the temperature for the type of tea you are brewing, however some teas taste better if the water boils first and then cools to the right temperature for steeping. The water can be set to boil.
- Can’t make just one cup of tea. The minimum amount of tea you can make with this machine is two cups. If you really want just one cup, you might want to brew it the old fashioned way. This machine is designed for two or more cups.
Questions Commonly Asked About the Breville Tea Maker
“Can the machine be set to keep the tea warm for more than one hour?”
No. The warming plate is designed to stay on for one hour and then shut off. There is no option for keeping it on longer.
“Can any of the parts be put in the dishwasher?”
Yes. The carafe lid, tea basket and basket lid are all dishwasher safe. The other parts should be cleaned according to the directions in the manual.
“Can this machine be used to boil water without making tea?”
Yes, you can. Set the temperature to however hot you want the water.
“Can the machine be shut off manually, or do you have to wait for it to shut off?”
You can shut the machine off by lifting the carafe. You can also stop the cycle by pressing the hot water button.
“Is the entire carafe made of glass? It looks like the base is stainless steel.”
The base is stainless steel and holds electrical conduits and copper wires. That is why the carafe cannot be put in the dishwasher and should never to immersed in water.
|Average Ratings (from 1 ratings) 1 Positive Reviews|
0 Negative Reviews